Team Ellie

Team Ellie

Thursday 14 April 2016

Hope is a powerful thing

Hope is a powerful thing. Even though hope doesn't always work, the strength and motivation you get from hope is incredible. Look at World War 1 & 2, Winston Churchill published propaganda to keep up the nation's morale/hope, this shows how powerful hope is, as it got the whole nation through such a tough time, without hope everyone would have not been as happy and willing to stay strong. When I first got cancer I hoped the treatment would work and I hoped that I'd survive, and that hope helped me through the pain of my experience.



Every item has a story, whether big or small, when I first got diagnosed my nan gave me a golden elephant. It belonged to my Great-Grandad, he kept it with him as a token of good luck and hope during World war 2. My Great-grandfather was a spitfire pilot, he was such a courageous man, he has been shot down from his spitfire 3 times and survived- so his story really proves that this Golden elephant is truly lucky! My nan wanted to give me the golden elephant to give me luck and hope throughout my treatment, and it definitely seems to be working. 
Also, my nan said to me "Ellie, you are even braver than my father as you are fighting a battle you can't see." However I disagree; if I had the choice I would of wanted to not have cancer and not to fight this horrible battle - but my Great-grandfather was truly brave, because if he had a choice to go to war or not, he would have gone to war as he wanted to fight for his country. My Great-grandfather was truly inspiring and I know he's looking down on me.

Throughout my treatment when things got tough I would disbelieve in hope and good luck. Now I look back, hope has truly helped me get through this experience, hope and luck isn't guaranteed but that fighting spirit you get from it can get you through. So for all of you that are starting a courageous battle with illness, remember to believe in hope as it will keep you strong.


'Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness'

Ellie xxx 





1 comment: