Team Ellie

Team Ellie

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Port or Hickman line?

One of the first decisions you are asked to make is the decision between the Port or the Hickman line. It can be a very hard choice as both has their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm here to make sure you get it right as it is stuck with you for the whole of your cancer journey.

Port
A Port is a small disc inserted underneath the skin connected to a catheter which connects the port to a vein. The port is usually in the chest and it stays in until Chemotherapy is over. The port is chosen more by teens and adults.


                       Pros                                                                                      Cons

-    Hidden under the skin.                                                      -    Not repairable.    
-    You can have baths and go swimming.                             -    Skill is required to access it.
-    No external lines.                                                               -    Special needle is required.
-    No daily care.                                                                     -    More difficult to repair.


Hickman line
A Hickman line is a long thin tube inserted into a vein in your chest. The Hickman line usually come out near the collar bone and it stays in until Chemotherapy is over. The Hickman line is more suited for children.

 

                     Pros                                                                                          Cons

-    Easy to insert and remove.                                          -    Daily care (Daily flush).
-    Easily repaired.                                                           -    May restrict activities.
-    No needle pokes.                                                         -    Could get tugged.
                                                                                          -    Caregivers require training.
                                                                                          -    Not able to have baths or go                 
                                                                                                               swimming.
                                                                                          -    Weekly dressing changes.


Comparing the Port and the Hickman line
Both the Hickman line and Port have their advantages and disadvantages. The Hickman line is great for children as there isn't much pain, whereas the Port has to stabbed with needles which can cause pain and isn't ideal for people who hate needles. The port is very easy to maintain unlike the Hickman line which has to be cared for daily. Also, you can't go swimming or have a bath with a Hickman line because you can't get it wet, personally I think a relaxing bath is very therapeutic for a cancer patient so the Hickman line may not be best for you. Finally, due to the Hickman line's external lines it has a higher risk of infection compared with the port.

I hope I have made you come to a decision, and I wish you the best of luck with your cancer treatment!

Ellie x                                                                                                        

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello every one I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr tunde a great spell caster for helping me retrieving back my relationship with my ex lover when he ended and turned back on me for quite a long time now (6 months ago) He performed a spell for me and within 48 hours after the spell had been cast I receive a text from my ex saying that he is sorry for the pains and tears that he had caused me and that he will not do such thing to me again in his life. I was surprised but later accepted him back again. Anyone that is in the same line of problem or different one that want to contact a spell caster should happily contact Dr tunde now on this email address:babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com or you can contact him through his whatsapp line +2348143581382 Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

      Delete
  2. Nice post Ell, really informative xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was treated in The Netherlands and I couldn't choose. I didn't even know about Hickman line until now. I had a porth and even if I'm cancer free and done with chemotherapy, I still have the porth. Weird how countries differ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I found Dr. OJOGUN I was in desperate need of bringing my ex lover back. He left me for another woman. It happened so fast and I had no say in the situation at all. He just dumped me after 3 years with no explanation. I contact Dr. OJOGUN through his website and He told me me what i need to do before he can help me and i did what he told me to, after i provided what he wanted, he cast a love spell to help us get back together. Shortly after he did his spell, my boyfriend started texting me again and felt horrible for what he just put me through. He said that I was the most important person in his life and he knows that now. We moved in together and he was more open to me than before and then he started spending more time with me than before. Ever since Dr. OJOGUN helped me, my partner is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before. I highly recommends Dr. OJOGUN to anyone in need of help. Email: ojogun.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com, Call him or add him on whatsapp via: +2348154637647

    ReplyDelete
  5. duced me to ( ddralahji) this doctor promised me that my husband will come back to me in 48 hours after I explained everything to him, and to my greatest surprise my husband called me after 48 hours and was begging me to forgive him that he will never leave me again, all thanks to ddralahji because for over 3 year's now I have been happy with my husband and he treats me like a queen,
    Contact ddralahji, if you have any kind of problem.

    *TO GET BACK YOUR LOVER.
    *TO RECONCILE
    *TO GET PREGNANT
    *TO CURE CANCER
    *TO REVENGE
    *TO PROMOTE BUSINESS
    *TO GET BACK YOUR MONEY/PROPERTY
    *TO CURE HIV/AIDS OR OTHER SICKNESS.
    Contact him:ddralahjiherbalhome@gmail.com
    Whatsapp: +2348140876149

    ReplyDelete